Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snow Doe

Here's a couple of pics of a doe during the heavy part of the snow storm we had last Thursday. We got about four inches and most of it is still with us. Notice the snow on the deer's back. A deer's winter coat is incredibly well insulated. It's winter coat is generally two inches longer and darker than the summer coat. It is also thicker and the hairs are hollow which provides even more insulation. The snow will not melt from the deer's body temperature. They will either shake it off or the sun will melt it after the storm.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Snow makes everything look cold but pretty.
vickie

TexWisGirl said...

Wow, she's pretty. Such a graceful beauty. You got some good photos! I like that they can stay warm in the winter weather!

Michelle said...

I like the middle picture. She is quite statuesque.

Nancy said...

That's a beautiful doe, Joe. They are quite hardy and seem to do very well in winter. I agree with Farmchick -- the second picture is gorgeous! :)

Passinthru Outdoors said...

Some great shots recently Joe. keep them coming. Time to put mine back out now that the hutning season is just about over.

Thanks for sharing.

Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

Anonymous said...

Oh these ones make me miss my cameras. We have allot of snow here now and the pics would be great!

Thank you very much for sharing your pics with us here. I know it keeps me from going too stir crazy doing these cold weeks!

Allison said...

The second picture is a deer looking around to see if I'm coming to comment on your blog. She is saying, "Don't let Allison approach! She used to butcher deer and elk with her dad! Run for your lives!" :D

Sorry, I'm laughing out loud. Your blog takes me back to those days every single time. Love it! Merry Christmas, Joe!!

Dawn said...

My favorite captures so far, and I think the last one is the one I like best.
Snow beauties.
Almost looks as if they know they're supposed to strike a pose.