Sunday, August 11, 2013

@!&#*@!! Bears



I'm not real pleased with momma and the three cubs right now. As I mentioned last week I've been using a scent dripper at the upper mountain set. Well this week I found it on the ground chewed up and I have the culprits on camera. They were nice enough to deposit it limb and all right in front of the camera.

 This is what the dripper set looked like prebear. I
had set it to drip on the rock below it.





















 They came to the set the day before it got torn down and just played
around it.
Apparently this one thought it would the great to smell like salmon
oil.That was the scent I was trying out.
 Hey look!! A toy for the kids.
 No problem snapping the branch off.
 OK kids. Have fun.
 Now lets check the camera to be sure it's working.

 Yeah! Let's drag it over in front of the camera so Joe will know for
sure it was us.

 This is how they left it.

 Right in front of the camera.
I think I may be able to repair it with some silicone and epoxy.They
just chewed on the cap and screw on part of the main bottle. This was
why I was hesitate to put one of my good drippers out with all of the
bear activity.

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i'm sorry, but i was laughing all the way through!!! i'm grateful all i have to worry about is stinking scamper rats at the birdfeeders and worse raccoon brats in my horse feed every night!

TexWisGirl said...

had to come back and go through it again. needed this laugh, today, joe! :D

Michaele said...

Smart alec bears!

Woody Meristem said...

That's what bears do. They're smart and curious - be glad they didn't treat your camera the same way.

Brian King said...

I would have been surprised if they hadn't pulled it down with that salmon scent in there. It was rather polite of them to leave it where you could find it. LOL! We had a bear destroy several young fruit trees on our property a couple of years ago.

Trailblazer said...

Man, oh man! At least the camera made it!

Michelle said...

Hopefully you can fix it! Bad Bears!!

Linda said...

Heh heh! What did you expect? I mean, salmon? Of course they took it down! Nice of them to leave it for you, at least.

Ola said...

brave ones!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Joe, thought you might be interested in this: http://natureofaman.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-upright-character.html?showComment=1376316280704#c5066240841149021929. He would be a good person to share stories about cam traps, bears, and scents.

Lindsjö taxar said...

:-)
I had to laugh, sorry!
Great Pictures!
Hope you can fix it!

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh -- that's hilarious! I wish you would have given me a heads up on the salmon oil order -- I would have sent some extra goodies.

Next time. Can I use these photos on our website?

xo

Nancy said...

PS - with full credit to you of course.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

So sorry- but that's funny right there. LOL!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Gosh, I think they got the best of you, Joe! ;-)

Tanya Breese said...

was it wrong of me to really enjoy this post? i'm sorry!

Fjällripan said...

Bad bears ;)) But great photos, I especially likes the one which stands on two legs, impressive animals :))

KB said...

Yum! Salmon oil!!!! I love the bears so maybe I should put some in front of one of my cams! Those are awesome photos... but sorry about the dripper.

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

Amazed they didn't eat it. They ate my behive...bees, honey, nails, wood and all!Jack

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

I have been whacked by bears at my drippers too! I love your post...